Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Reality!

Before this class I didn't realize the disadvantages women had faced in sport and education and how Title IX changed all of that. I really didn't know that existed. I did know women struggled for equality. I grew up participating in many things. I even played T-ball with the boys in 1985. Never did I once get treated differently in high school because I ran cross country and track or swam on the swim team. To this day, I can't even think an incident that would involve a female playing a sport. I may have not notice if there was anything of that nature occurring at my school.
In the few weeks in this class I've learned that women and girls have struggled for fairness in athletics and still do. Men are still coaching women's sport, which I read about one that was forced to coach a female's soccer team in New York but had no interest to do so. He wanted to coach male's soccer instead. This is happening a lot and female's are not getting the opportunity they deserve to participate in sports and in coaching. There's still more money going into a male's athletic team over a female's athletic team.
I think what made me realize everything is the one reading was, "Just Do...What? Sport, Bodies and Gender", this had a major effect. The talk of how men are mostly coaching female and male athletics, which is causing injuries to female athletes due to them, being encouraged to continue when injured. I never realized the risk of injury until I got involved in athletics at OCC. In high school there wasn't much information put out on injuries and prevention and how to take care of an injury if one was sustained. We did have male coaches. It’s amazing what we learn in life and still learn even when we didn't realize what was going on in that particular moment of our lives but down the road we do.

No comments: