Monday, October 11, 2010

all women need to have access to exercise

Cindy Y.
Section: Kin338I. Tue&thur 9:30-10:45am. CSULB

I started teaching aerobics for the city of Hawaiian Gardens about 3 months ago. My participants are amazing! They are mostly also mothers (old and young), immigrants, only spanish speakers, and dedicated. My classes are offered 8 times per week, and they are completely free. My classes also come with free child care, every single class. I also have instructions in english and spanish so that everyone can understand and be comfortable. It really brightens up my heart to see these women participating in something that is so healthy for them.

We have discussed in class that those who are "white" usually get priorities that many other people do not. They usually have access to sports and exercising gyms, especially if they have the financial abilities. Many of these ladies are immigrants, and some have shared with me their hard journeys to America; they have sacrificed alot for their children to be American citizens.We also discuss girls in youth sports and college sports, but what about the grown women?

I have women who come to every single class, which means they exercise 8 hours per week. they also take advantage of the weight classes that are offered twice a week, and the gym. Alot of these ladies would not be able to do any of this without the resources they have at the city hall. My class if free and has free child care; there isnt any excessive paperwork to get done or regulations. Its fast, easy, and fun. If I didn't have childcare available for them, most of the ladies would not be able to participate; many of them can not afford babysitters and many of them do not have relatives who could help them out with babysitting.

I feel that free programs as mine should be offered in every city and every recreational park. These women are dedicated, strong, and hard workers. It is really admiring how these women come day after day to exercise and make themselves healthy. I can not help but wonder what these ladies would be doing every night if these programs did not exist. Everyone should have free resources in respect to exercise and sport, along with free child care.

No comments: