Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Reggie Garrett

Well i read an article on the AOL news.

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/reggie-garrett-star-texas-high-school-quarterback-dies-after-collapse-in-game/19639051

It was a surprising event that happened in Orange. A young seventeen year old with a bright future in football collapsed on the field after throwing a touchdown to his teammate with a huge smile on his face. As he walked to the sidelines to celebrate he collapsed over and wasn't breathing. Shortly after he arrived to the hospital, he was pronounced dead. He was such a beautiful kid as well as a very talented and loved one too. they were just celebrating on the field for they were winning the football game. The doctor said he died of a seizure. His medical records show that he had suffered convulsions when he was three when he had a fever but didn't have one since. Apparently this one, he wasn't able to overcome. He passed his yearly physical exam with flying colors but still had a seizure. Is there any way we can prevent this from happening? Are there any tests that could be done to predict these events and tragic moments? Do we need to raise our standards for physical tests to be cleared to play sports? When I have a physical done, it is very simple, quick, and sometimes I don't even feel like it is enough. I have permanently sprained both of my knees from sports, but I still get cleared every time to keep playing and do what I'm doing. When I'm on the field or in the dance room, I can feel myself not being okay but the doctor said I was. I am cleared from a car accident I was in four years ago, but I still feel the repercussions of it. I fell at work and filed a workers comp claim, but couldn't get permanent disability because they tested me and said I was fine. I can still feel the pain and limitations I now have from the injuries. Are there more tests they can run to see the in depth injuries or unknown repercussions from previous injuries? Reggie Garrett isn't the only football player this has happened to. There are other players too who have suffered from things like this. One had a heart attack and his heart stopped for two minutes after making a touch down. He made it to the hospital and his life was saved for a cardio doctor was in the stands and came to his rescue. He was lucky, but what about Reggie? Will there me others like him? Should be raise the standards for physical exams and research their medical past more diligently? YES! We must! To keep our athletes safe and alive, we must do more tests, be more honest about our medical history, and do more in depth research into their medical past. It is a must or there will be more like Reggie Garrett, young athletes with dreams and futures. R.I.P. Reggie Garrett. You were loved and admired by so many. Heaven has a great quarterback now. Keep reaching for the stars!

Chelsea Castaneto
KIN 338i
Women in Sport
T/TH 9:30am

No comments: