Thursday, September 23, 2010

How student fees boost college sports amid rising budgets

I found this article to be very interesting and eye opening. I have understood that we as students at CSULB do pay a "University Fee" that is nicely labeled within our account inquiry. I admit however that I do not have the slightest idea of what these university fees are going towards. I do know they contributed to the new Rec Center and I am completely content with this. Also I am sure some goes towards the upkeep of the various gyms, racket ball courts, pool, etc. which I am also OK with. How much of that total university fee is going towards athletic programs however is another story. I do not necessarily feel comfortable paying for the athletics of other students. I rarely go to 49er games regardless of the sport. Perhaps if we did have a football team I would get my cut by having a huge homecoming game to go to but this is nonexistent. I feel that many students on our campus are blind to this "University Fee" which we have been paying since our enrolment including myself. I feel that the university should let us see the breakdown of the university fee and let us know exactly where our money is going.

-Nick H.
KIN 338I Sec 1

No comments: