Saturday, September 17, 2011

Women Sports Video Games?



Why is it that no one ever talks about video games having to do with Women's professional sports? As an avid sports game freak -- it totally perplexes me as to why big name labels like EA sports or 2k have yet to climb that hurdle in today's technological era. Could money be the issue? How about the fear of a decline in sales in some of the companies most popular franchises? I did some research and found some interesting information...

First off, there hasn't been a women's sports video game developed on the new consoles (PS3, XBOX 360, or even the WII). What there have been, are poorly made 1st generation games for the "old school" consoles. Games like BEACH SPIKERS (which my sister had way back when), MIA HAM SOCCER 64, and SEGA SPORTS TENNIS. I can remember earlier in the decade a game called DEAD OR ALIVE: XTREME BEACH VOLLEYBALL. Just from the cover it rubbed me the wrong way - it was definitely sexist.

Here's an image:


What's wrong with this picture? Notice in particular the "Only on Xbox" tag at the very top. Easily a money making ploy to convince young boys to buy an Xbox to see what "real women" look like. Growing up in a generally female household, I felt it would be disrespectful if one of my middle school buddies were to bring this into a friendly video game session.

Dead or Alive not only pushed limits, but people's buttons as well. So I ask this question, if it's ok to publish a video game that exposes and labels women negatively, why can't they release a game that appeals to women? Something like Clay Matthews: One on One. Here's why, it's because men, and the money hungry corporations they run are afraid of losing fan bases, and afraid of losing money.

On the other hand, do you think women like playing an NBA game where your only option is to create a MALE "My player"? What's wrong with creating a WNBA game? And, if your main goal is to make money, who thinks that wouldn't sell? I know tons and tons of athletes, and just chicks in general that would kill to play games like that. Why do women constantly have to be limited to male dominant sport titles.

I call upon video game companies to eliminate the fear of being different -- you have SO MUCH to gain, and so little to lose. Why not give it a shot and give women athletes what they want? Some time to relax and play as their favorite tennis player, WNBA athlete, or track and field champ? Now...don't take this post literally and go make Lingerie Football League 12: Special Edition.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this guys.

-Elliot Osrin (KIN 338I.S6)

2 comments:

Kerrie Kauer said...

This is a really good point. As a female athlete and lover of video games, I have to admit I'm kinda turned off on sports games because I can't play as a female. On NCAA Football I try and make my character have long hair, but it's not the same.

For those that say it wouldn't be realistic, I say, isn't that the point of creating such a character? Since when is the vast majority of NCAA football gamers going to have the slightest chance of winning a Heisman anyway?

Wish this idea would gain some steam...

Ivy Chamness
KIN 338 sec 06

Elliot Osrin (KIN338 Sec 06) said...

I couldn't agree with you more!