Sunday, September 4, 2011

Women in Football/Hockey

It's interesting to me that of the five major American sports only soccer, basketball, and baseball have leagues where women play at some national level. Where as Football and Hockey, as far as i know, do not have nationally covered leagues where women compete. Its obvious that women sporting events dont get the media attention like male sports but I've never heard of a female hockey or football league. Is it because the physical stature one needs to play either sport? Or is it because our society doesnt want our young girls to get involved in Hockey or Football?

I believe it absolutely has to do with our society. For instance, I dont think my parents would of let my sister play hockey or football even if she really wanted to! I think its safe to make the assumption that MOST of our parents would of done the same thing. If anybody has heard of women playing hockey or football leagues that are legit let me know.

Bennett G.
kin 338I.S6

No comments: