Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Gender characteristics

Yesterday in class we discussed stereotypical characteristics or traits for men and also for women. As I was sitting there listening to everyone shout out the characteristics for men and women I noticed that you could use most of the traits for either sex no days. I understand the idea of the exercise was to think of what fits with each sex but if you looked at the board there were so many that could fall under either sex. Rich, tall, powerful, selfish, intelligent, gentle, obnoxious, etc. the list goes on and on. So as everyone was yelling up traits for the women I noticed that there were several traits I considered to be associated with. Does that make me more feminine? No I'm a male who can be sensitive, emotional, or passive. It just comes to show that everyone is different but there are similar qualities that we can find in each and everyone of us. Anybody care to disagree?


Bennett Grissom
Kin. 338i sec. 6

1 comment:

Kerrie Kauer said...

I think there are a lot of people that share traits that's are commonly used for the opposite sex. Maybe a good way to look at is, how do you act around your friends? I think depending on your gender those common gender specific traits may come out more. Ideally we should just be and act like who we are, but society puts pressure on us and people who don't follow the norms can be discriminated against.

Vanessa Humic
Kin 338i sec 06