Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Women In the Media

We watched the video in class this week on the way that women are portrait in the media, and how the pictures are taken of them. I see the problem that can arise from this that women are seen as sex objects, but at the same time, I think that some of these women want to be seen that way. I know that men in sports are seen as sex figures, and I assume that the majority of them not only appreciate the fact they are seen as attractive, but also enjoy the attention and money that comes from the endorsements. With the exceptions where women are being strictly objectified in the articles that follow with the pictures, which I do not think happens often, I feel that probably the women in these pictures appreciate the attention and publicity that comes along with it.
I am not saying that the level that the pictures appear are equal, because they are far from it, but I am saying that I feel these women see this as an opportunity for them to further their personal careers and most likely help their finances as well. These women have the choice to pose in whatever manner they want, and they choose to pose that way. If they want to do that, then it is their choice.

Rob R.
KIN338
3206.

3 comments:

Kerrie Kauer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kerrie Kauer said...

Well Rob I find myself agreeing with you yet again. I also brought this point up in class that I believe it works in favor of women to be a great athlete or competitor and still be sexy. To me it is like they are saying I can move like the men do but look good while I’m doing it. I believe the film was over-analyzing how women are treated and viewed in sport. The film made it seem like the media was exploiting these female athletes, but I believe it was commending them on still looking beautiful. What girl doesn’t want to be a model and show how sexy she could be? Kerry made the point that when you sexualize a person your taking their power away or they are looked down upon or something like that I don’t know but I think it depends on the individuals. I think because I come from a world where soccer is life, my best example of this would be Mia Hamm compared to David Beckham. Not only do they have Ham in their last name, but they are both attractive athletes. I see Mia Hamm as a much more respected athlete than David but then again I am from America, maybe the English respect David more? Or not?

Alexander Cartagena

Kerrie Kauer said...

I agree that it is the choice of the women athlete to pose and get media endorsements. I also liked how you pointed out how men are seen to be sexy and yet how nobody says it's bad, just for women who do it. Yet the men also are appreciated for their capability just as the women should be. they dont train to be sexy, there's nothin to that, they train to be athlete's more so. and that's the greatest thing that has come from their choice in endorsements being found to be appreciated for choosing to be athletic

Arnold Cruz kin 338i s6