Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Stereotypes and Sports

All this talk in class about stereotypes for women in sports has really got me thinking. I am a women, however I have never played sports in my life, so I had no idea how hard it can be to plays sports and still "be a women". I was unaware that women were looked at as being gay if they played basketball or dykeish if they played softball. I know women that play sports tend to be more muscular, however that doesn't make them lesbian at all. Being tough and muscular is a great trait to have if you ask me A women who plays sports should be able to define herself as whoever she wants to be. It must be really hard for women to keep their heads high and go play a good game when their being labeled and put down by these stereotypes. It's to bad that our society has formed these stereotypes to put down women. The same goes for men who play sports. If a man was gay and on the football team, it's to bad he can't express his true identity because our society views gay men as weak.

Tanya Mason
kin 338I.S6

No comments: