Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Dare to Compete: Mildred “Babe” Didrikson

On February 6th we watched the video titled Dare To Compete. This video was interesting in the fact that it really made me want to know about the history of women. Most of these women I had never heard of before yet they made some great accomplishments in the struggle for equality between men and women. I found Mildred “Babe” Didrikson to be the most intriguing to learn about. No matter what anyone told her, she believed in herself. If someone told her she couldn’t do it there was no question she was going to attempt it and succeed. Another thing about her I found interesting was that when she got married her physical appearance changed. Throughout Babe’s whole life she had her haircut short and dressed boyishly. I wonder if this determined female actually was influenced by men because once she got married she started dressing more like a woman was “supposed to” dress and present herself. I know this is probably not true but it made me think. Her decision to get married changed many peoples view on her as well as her view on herself.

Jennifer Allison
KIN 338I W 7-9:45

No comments: