Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Women In Sports

         I will admit that before taking this class i had no idea what female athletes went through in the past and even in the present. I never really thought about how women were portrayed in the media, or how homophobia affected female athletes. It did not occur to me that even in this day and age there are still stereotypes about women in sports, and how they should look or act. There were a couple of topics that i found really interesting as we went through the semester. Like how women are portrayed in the media and how little female athletes are covered in today's press. As well as the homophobia that goes on, not only for females in sports, but in sports in general. I find it hard to believe that society today still looks at a person's gender, color and sexuality first instead of their abilities or their skills when it comes to sports. I grew up with the idea that no matter what, skill and dedication and the love of the game came first before anything else. That the only thing that mattered was the skill and heart of the athlete. I find it really sad that society today has forgotten that, and because of it we are still faced with the same problems that we had in the past. Although there are progress, there are still a lot of work to be done. I give props to those female athletes that defied the norm and showed the world that their skills, dedication and love of the sport is the only thing that matters!

Kat Talento
KIN 338I.s6

1 comment:

Kerrie Kauer said...

I feel the exact same way. It's sad that I, along with the other students that took this class, had to enroll in this class in order to find out about the various facts of information that was presented. The fact that the media portrays women in very limited lights is the main reason why women are not respected as athletes like they deserve. These stigmas and thoughts about women's role in society are still lingering in the 21st century, and that blows my mind. I did not think homophobia was so prominent in athletics either and Rene Portland was excessive in her personal beliefs. SInce the beginning of the semester, I've started paying closer attention to these inequalities simply because I am aware that they exist now. I could go on and on about different things that I learned but yes I agree Kat. This class was very eye-opening indeed.

-Champagne Jones
kin338i.S6