Monday, April 12, 2010

Female Athletes and the Media

I wanted to comment on my panel discussion topic of female athletes and how they are being portrayed in the media. In our last class, we watched a film titled "Playing Unfair" which stated that some athletes pose sexually in the media to feel empowered and celebrate their bodies. The only problem I have with that statement is posing in a bikini or nude does not need to occur to feel empowered. You can be fully clothed and still have the same affect such as wearing exercise attire. I also want to comment that posing sexually also does not affect the athlete's ideology about empowerment, but younger female fans as well. What really bothers me with statements like this is that it sets a standard that what they are doing is okay or the norm which in turn could cause an increase to more and more people following the same trend, especially young upcoming athletes. I would have much more respect if athletes or celebrities in general would say to their fans " Hey, this isn't necessarily the right thing to do, but is what I personally want to do, but their are other ways to feel empowered."

Kin 338I, TuTh
Devyne Dawson

No comments: